Sunday 11 March 2012

The Ghost and The Darkness

One of the biggest conundrums I have had in recent times. Should I classify The Ghost And The Darkness as an Action movie or a thriller or a horror movie. In the end, I went with Thriller and Horror both. You would not have much or a debate with the rating once you have seen it. I have probably seen it over 10 times to date and each one of those has been an experience that was as scary as the other. Without any exception.

I first saw the story of the worst place on earth - yes that's what Samuel (John Kani) calls Tsavo - way back in 1997 if I remember correctly. The impact that it left on me has been identical ever since for some eerie reason. The fascination that Col. James Patterson (Val Kilmer) has with Africa is a huge driver in his decision to leave a pregnant wife Helena Patterson (Emily Mortimer)

The commitment is that he will build the bridge across the river Tsavo within 6 months. He wants to be back before his first born comes into the world. His wife is supportive of his decision. But the acidic Robert Beaumont (Tom Wilkinson) doesn't really care much about his family or anyone else. Just the bridge. Patterson doesn't really know that there are aspects about Africa that are far more scary than some cheap heartless people like Beaumont. His worst nightmares are about to come true with The Ghost And The Darkness.

Stephen Hopkins is very good to say the least. The use of music during the hunts for the 2 man eaters gives me goose bumps even thinking about it. One can imagine the fear you will feel while watching it. The editing and cinematography is perfect to create and even more intense fear of the unknown. Look closely into the grasslands and u will see silhouettes of the feared beasts walking through. Some sequences such as the one where Patterson's wife comes to see him with his first born only to be mauled @ the railway station are horrific and scary. And the use of enhanced sound for the petrified baboon is just stunning.

4 of the finest actors that I have known in my lifetime come together for one of my favourite movies of all time. Val Kilmer, Tom Wilkinson, Om Puri and the evergreen Michael Douglas. I have taken it upon myself to get everyone that I know to see it. I loved it. I am sure most of you will. 8 on 10.

Watch the trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCb6-Nz0Nkg

No comments:

Post a Comment