Friday 19 October 2012

Secondhand Lions

I first saw Secondhand Lions on my trip to Singapore way back in 2004. It was part of the inflight entertainment on Singapore Airlines. And I remember having searched for the DVD for quite a while before I eventually found it. Needless to say, I picked it up the moment I laid my eyes on it.

And I do not usually let an opportunity by to watch it again. So, when Prarthana said she had not seen it, I had to make the most of the opportunity. Took us a few weeks to get around to eventually seeing it but I would not be lying if I said that both of us enjoyed it thoroughly. She was seeing it for the first time. I had lost count.

Garth (Michael Caine / Kevin Haberer) and Hub (Robert Duvall / Christian Kane) are seventy something young men – I say young because of their immense zest for life. They are now retired and rumour has it that they are loaded. Not with assets and money in the bank. But with hard cash. Cash they have stowed away somewhere on their estate. Far away from most civilization.

Cash that has various theories about its origin. One of them states that Garth and Hub were extremely famous bank robbers of the 1940s. Led by the brave and courageous Hub. Backed with the intelligence of Garth. A more popular story was about them being bounty hunters and the money was hard earned and to a significant extent given by a Shiekh (Adam Ozturk) who Hub defeated while wooing their mutual love interest – Jasmine (Emmanuelle Vaugier).

So, when Mae (Kyra Sedgwick), gets wind of the fact that her uncles are loaded, she decides that the best way to get her hands on the money is by leaving her son Walter (Haley Joel Osment) with them. Truth is that she wants to leave a life that is far more adventurous than handling an eleven year old. The rest of the story is about how Walter actually builds a strong bond of trust, love and most importantly faith with his uncles.

I must forewarn you that there is a possibility of shedding a tear of joy or two while you watch Secondhand Lions. Thankfully it will be a tear of joy for a wonderful story of faith. Of how we choose to be either happy or sad. To be either trusting or skeptical. And it is the faith that we have around the stories that we hear that gives us the strength and happiness to go though life – one day at a time.

Director Tim McCanlies’ best piece of work would be this one. And he probably had very little to do with it. The sheer ease with which Duvall, Caine and Osmont essay their characters is just stunning. Needless to say, Secondhand Lions is a movie worth watching due to 2 aspects – Story and performances. Both of which are superb. Don’t miss an opportunity to watch this one. 8 on 10.

Watch the trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-COMJckISVY

1 comment:

  1. I would like to offer a million thanks to you dude
    If it weren't for you, I would've missed such a heartwarming film
    I almost shed a tear when he gets the call from the sheriff in the last scene

    MUST WATCH

    ReplyDelete