Friday 11 March 2011

Hall Pass

I have been really busy over the past few days. If I haven’t posted my review for the day or at least watched a movie then I get quite crabby and edgy. But when it comes to Hall Pass, although I saw it 3 days back, I haven’t really regretted not posting the review. I was even contemplating not reviewing it and my conscience said – “Sacrilegoous!!!! How can you deviate from the plan? Your 44 followers (get the hint folks – click on “FOLLOW”) will be so waiting for the review of Hall Pass. What would they say if they didn’t read it”? But the lazy part of me kept pushing it for later – I am a procrastinator. Why do something today when it can be done tomorrow? Nevertheless, my shock knew no bounds when in the movie listings of India’s largest selling tabloid, I could not find The Fighter (yes I haven’t seen it yet and you guys can stone me later) but HALL PASS was clearly staring at me and I almost stopped eating my breakfast. But then thankfully my faith in good movies was redeemed when I checked the PVR website (is anyone from PVR listening? This is free promotion!!!) and found that Hall Pass had only 3 shows and The Fighter had 4. I would probably have been much harsher than 3 shows. Maybe one show @ 9 am in some random cinema in the city just to keep the distributors happy. I mean, what were they thinking? Did they check the product out before putting it out there to torture us simple souls? Or is this their version of some sick joke?


Maggie (Jenna Fischer) and Rick (Owen Wilson – heavily made up at that) have been married for a while now and have 3 kids. One cannot say that they are extremely happy or sad (that is the extent of lifelessness in the acting) or in trouble but they seem to be managing things. One thing for sure is that Rick hasn’t been getting any from Maggie for a while now. And Maggie hasn’t been putting herself out there either. Cut to Grace (Christina Applegate) and Fred (Jason Sudeikis) who are a bit more animated about their relationship status. Neither Rick nor Fred are the kind of men today that “they used to be” (GOD I have had it with that!!!!). And they are both dead sure that if they were out there for some ass then they would get it hands down. Regular story right? And all of us are well aware that it is not as easy as it used to be. But our 2 heroes continue to live in their false beliefs and are happy taking mental pictures of several HOT women who are on display through the entire movie. But when things get a little out of hand (no they don’t cheat or anything of the sort – just some domestic squabble) then the wives get together to give them a Hall Pass – a week off marriage where the husbands an do whatever they want to no questions asked. What the husbands forget is that the Hall Pass works both ways.

Yet another case of an interesting concept that has been totally hashed up into classic slap stick American Comedy which has more emphasis on showing women than actually showing some quality comedy. I have never been too much of a fan of Peter & Bobby Farrelly who gave us the likes of There’s Something About Mary, Dumb & Dumber, Stuck on You and Shallow Hal. All are movies that have been widely viewed – so I guess they make their money. But they still have to learn even the basics of movie making. I guess there are enough and more takers for slapstick. So what if it is cheap laughter. Its laughter anyways I guess. Cannot say much about any of the other aspects of movie making cause they were pretty much absent. If you liked the previous stuff that the Farrelly brothers have dished out then you may find this just a little bit lower in rating. I don’t think it deserved anything more than 3 on 10 and that too because of an interesting storyline and the fact that it was finished reasonably well. Yeah you can also say I give it a point for the hot women on display (I am being honest here). Really – don’t waste your time. Put in half the money into my account for saving it for you.

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi811440665/

No comments:

Post a Comment