Saturday 30 July 2011

The Smurfs

Now this one is going to be a real challenge to write for certain. First of all, I am not quite certain on how one would classify the movie. Animation or Semi Animation. In the interest of avoiding confusion and reducing the number of movie categories on my blog I thought it best to stick to Animation. Secondly, Smurfs is one of the movies that you come out of feeling not too bad but not too good either. It’s a very confused feeling that I walked out of PVR Bangalore feeling very sore on the nose as always (thanks to the heaviest pair of 3D glasses on the planet) – so sore that it hurts 10 hours later as well. So unlike my previous reviews where I rate the movie at the end, I am chosing to call out a 6 on 10 for Smurfs upfront. I did not find anything bad but did not find anything brilliant to call out a higher score.

I first saw the Smurfs Trailer earlier this year and had tweeted that it seemed quite childish / kiddy and that it may not cut ice with too many people in my age group. I will continue to hold that opinion. Smurfs is a movie that you would go with kids in the single digit age group. It will and can be appreciated only by the children or by people who have a significantly larger element of a child in them – ergo by popular belief I should have loved the movie. However, I guess age has caught up with me and I could not quite feel too great of replacing every possible word or part of every possible word in the English language with Smurf. So obviously we have “What the Smurf”!!! or “Where the smurf are we”??? or “Are you feeling Smurfimistic today”? or the only female character in the movie being called Smurfette. Within a few minutes you have Smurf coming out your ears and slowly but surely it turns from being an irritant to something that you learn to tolerate and you may eventually find yourself surprised as hell that you actually like doing it. You will find the same feelings with the excruciatingly blue colour of these pint sized characters created by the Belgian cartoonist Peyo way back in 1958.

Yes it is corny as hell I can assure you. Like the Smurfs find themselves a couple of times atop a taxi which has a signage of The Blue Man Band or Blu Ray Discs. Forever and ever all of these characters land up in New York City. As always, the Smurfs stay in a fictional land which is hidden from all life in general and no one knows where it actually is. Again, as always, they are being chased by an evil magician (or villain) who goes by the name of Gargamel and has a heinous cat as his trusted aide. As always, they have a fascinating way that they have to use to get back home and of course as always they have to get assistance from a kind hearted couple who are expecting their first child. Exceptionally predictable and funny in parts with some great 3D which is the high point of the movie. Must watch for kids. Not as much for adults.

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4133133593/

No comments:

Post a Comment