Sunday 3 July 2011

Delhi Belly

I was quite apprehensive about Delhi Belly and was in the same breath quite disappointed because I could not watch the movie till this morning. I was just hoping it was not yet another case of the trailer being better than the movie – like it has been quite often in the recent past. However, turns out this time it was not the case. I guess it had to be a case of “In Aamir Khan we trust”. Although I am not sure if Aamir would be saying, “In Imran Khan I trust” for too long if the nephew keeps at his mediocre levels of improvement and singular dead pan surprised expression for too long. One begins to feel a bit sad about it after a while because there does seem to be a lot of effort or sincerity in Imran Khan’s approach to acting. Add to that his chocolate boy looks. But over generations I guess the expressions reduce. Aamir does a brilliant job with 5 expressions. Imran has only one. Seriously Imran dear – I like you for your sincerity and the fact that u seem like a really clean guy which is not too common in the industry – but seriously you need to start acting… really well and really soon before the public sticks to liking you only for your looks and good behavior.

Delhi Belly is marks the 2nd movie of director Abhinay Deo who not too long ago released his first movie – Game. How lucky can one get I say. 2 movies in 3 months of each other!!! That’s really lucky!!! And whats better – the first one was a directing disaster and my has Abhinay Deo made a turn around or what? Delhi Belly is compact, with very little nonsense and one with is cut really well. It is indeed shocking that Game was such a disaster on all counts. So I guess Abhinay dear has redeemed itself. Yes, Delhi Belly could have been finished a tad better than the final product. That Deo had the services of Kunaal Roy Kapur, Vir Das, Vijay Raaz and Poorna Jagannathan… let me catch me breath here……………….. and I was saying – Poorna Jagannathan who is probably the best face to hit Bollywood this year – just made his job a hell of a lot easier. Right from the first shot as Meneka, a visiting journalist who is assigned to Tashi Dorjee Lahtoo (Khan) to interview a bimbo singer, Poorna stamps her authority on screen. So yes, here is a hottie who can act as well. And yes people – she can kiss for sure. Probably the most comfortably that I have seen anyone on screen in a Bollywood movie. And yes… did I mention that she is HOT!!!! She is Tunisian – I mean how much more exotic can it really get. And another warning – DO NOT LOOK INTO THOSE EYES!!! They will captivate you and cast a spell out of which there will be no getting out – period!!! And for the first time since I started using a desktop I have on my wall paper an actress who starred in a Bollywood movie – I am officially in love *sheepish smile*

I liked Delhi Belly. It is fast, pacy, funny in parts, outrageously slapstick in parts, “bimbo”ish in parts (read Shenaz Treasurywala and Anusha Dandekar), young, energetic, brave, short and to the point. The music from Ram Sampath is excellent and the fact that is used as a background score makes it even better. Watch it for sure. U will not regret it and if you do get bored then keep looking out for Poorna coz she is never too far away from any scene. *sigh* 7 on 10 folks – 25 on 10 for Poorna for sure *sighs again*

Watch the trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcKn9BxTg1A

No comments:

Post a Comment