Thursday 6 October 2011

Johnny English Reborn

There are a variety of genres of humour in the world. One such brand which I typically avoid like the plague is the one dished out by Rowan Atkinson in Mr. Bean. Although I believed the genre called “Johnny English” was far more tolerable as compared to Mr. Bean – based on my previous experience. Let me at this stage clarify that I am not a Johnny English fan either. It is only my love for movies and the fact that I have made reviews my passion that dragged me to the screen. And did I mention the lack of any other option which had the same convenience of timing when you have the option of running a triple header from 7 pm to 1 pm. The one in between was Johnny English Reborn and I just went with the flow. With what followed, I was actually pleasantly surprised and pleased. Sometimes one gets lucky I guess.

Rowan Atkinson continues with his bungling ways in the sequel but over a period of time, I guess these bungling ways seem quite endearing – or should I say, these bungling ways have evolved to make themselves endearing and a bit funny to the avid movie goer. Johnny boy is called back from exile by his boss played by Gillian Anderson to get to bottom some fishy business. The agent from MI7 is quick to report on duty and heads off to Japan where he discovers the involvement of the secret group called Vortex which is planning to kill the Chinese Premiere during his talks with the British Prime Minister. Vortex is a lethal combination of 3 secret agents – one each from the KGB, CIA and MI7. Will Johnny manage to get to the bottom of all this and manage to redeem himself of what happened in Mozambique (or was it Mauritius) 8 years back. Only time will tell the story. If you are able to sustain the Johnny English brand of comedy that is.

Now don’t get misled by the last statement. JER is a much better made movie that the first one that released in 2003 which I believe I saw in Sterling Cinema when it wasn’t a multiplex. The humour has distinctly improved to stuff that is more classic British humour. Add to that a touch of Bond and the class of the humour is distinctly superior to previous Mr. Bean attempts – more often than not… so don’t get ahead of yourself and assume that you will find nothing wrong at all. Quite a few gaffes actually but you would lose them because of the looks of one Rosamund Pike – who would actually qalify as probably the only perso in the world who has now acted n both an original Bond movie and its spoof. Interesting piece of trivia to close out the review of a 5 on 10 movie. That’s all I can give JER. Sorry for misleading you to believe that it was better.

Trailer on http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi293772313/

No comments:

Post a Comment