Friday 6 January 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish 2009)

And the debate will continue endlessly as to how true should a movie maker stay to the book. In the recent past, I have experienced Tintin which stayed true to the comic book like nothing else. But then it was a comic book. Translating 60 pages into a 1.5 hour movie is not as much of a challenge as converting a 576 page pulsating paperback super hit novel into the big screen. I am taking nothing away from Spielberg here. My comment is restricted only to remaining true to the movie. And irrespective of what people may say about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (TGWTDT) I will still say that Niels Arden Oplev has done a fabulous job of getting the first of the Millenium Trilogy onto the silver screen. OK – this review is not for the English movie that was due to be released today in India but has been pushed for no apparent reason. This is for the Swedish movie that released in 2009 and surprisingly took over 2 years for Hollywood to emulate. I am just trying to maximize hits by coinciding the review with the release here :-P :D – sorry for the slime.

Nevertheless, I must also accept guilt for not having seen this movie although I have had it with me for over a year now. But I didn’t see it because I could not get through 50 pages of the novel. I was quite adamant that I will read the book before I watch the movie and I don’t regret it one bit. Once you get the super slow 60-70 pages, the novel is a complete breeze and exceptionally fast paced. The movie on the other hand cuts through the first few pages really quick and gets to the heart of the matter immediately. Now one can argue that it isn’t staying true to the book but on that could I support Oplev. There could not have been a better way to cut through the riff raff. It would have ruined the movie.

Although I wonder why Oplev left out quite a few things from the movie and added a bit of spice towards the end which I do not remember from the book at all. For instance, there has been no importance or even a reference given to the relationship that Mikael Blomqvist (Michael Nyqvist) has with Erika Berger (Lena Endre) or for that matter Cecilia Vagner (Marika Lagercrantz). Was it important to the story-line. I would say yes. Did it affect the final result really badly – not at all. If one were to watch the movie independent of the book, it would still be a great watch. Oplev has kept the movie to the point and despite his best efforts, cannot keep it below the 2.5 hours that one has to go through – but it is a breeze. One aspect that will distinctly change with the David Fincher English version would be the finishing and the editing which has been Fincher’s hallmark through the years. That’s where Oplev lost out. But he more than makes it up by directing a cast which really gives the movie its best. Noomi Rapace is outstanding as Lisbeth Salander – rumours are that Rooney Mara is in line for the Oscars this year in the English version. Michael Nyqvist is somber and extremely solid in his essaying of Blomqvist. Overall a very good way to spend 2.5 hours. Add to the Must Watch List. 7.5 on 10.

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2735866905/ for the Swedish movie. And while you are at it, you could also take a look at the English one http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3830160409/%20whichwhich should be in line for a few nominations at this year’s Oscars I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment