Monday 16 January 2012

The Incredibles

It was only by chance that I saw The Incredibles (yet again :D) while channel surfing last afternoon. In a way, I was trying to get over the near disastrous impact that 4084 had on my brains and the really bad taste that Alvin and the Chipmunks – The Squeakuel had left me with a couple of days back. One way to get over a bad movie is to watch a really good one to balance things out. Sometimes you get lucky and a good one pops up on TV immediately after. This time around, I had 2 good movies on TV on a Sunday both of which I had send before but I wasn’t complaining at all because my mind was actually crying out for quality cinema in 2011. Notice that all the movies that I have seen this year haven’t been that great. So thank you very much once again to Walt Disney & Pixar for having given us this Academy Winner for 2005.


While The Incredibles may not feature in my list of top 5 Animation movies of all time, there is absolutely no taking away from it the fact that it has an Oscar to its credit and that it is an excellent example of good quality animation and screenplay. While I cannot quite understand the technical aspects of movie making such as Sound Editing (another category in which The Incredibles won an Oscar), it would probably suffice to say that the quality of sound and the use of the same is simply stunning – sorry but my understanding in this part is fairly limited .

I had always thought that The Incredibles was another comic book from the stable of Marvel or DC Comics or the likes. It came as an Incredible surprise to say the least when I figured out during my usual research after the movie that the movie was actually written by the director Brad Bird – who I coincidentally lambasted a few weeks ago for his really bad execution of Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. However, in the creation of The Incredibles he has hardly put a foot wrong. A nomination for screenplay was well deserved to say the least. I cannot actually think of too many super hero movies which were created for the screen. What he lost out to was Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind which was indeed nothing to feel sorry about.

The Incredibles gets to the fore a set of characters, super heroes, who will not catch the fancy of only the segment upto tweenagers but extend itself to much older age groups like this author. Whether it is the lead role of the beefy Mr. Incredible (Craig T Nelson) himself or the minor side role of Edna aka E (The voice of Brad Bird again – how versatile is this guy?). Even the character of Syndrome (Jason Lee) is so clearly sketched out that you cannot but appreciate it. That Bird has prequalified the Incredible nature of his characters helps significantly in building the expectation from the crowd to, “Expect the Unexpected” like any other super hero movie. So even the surprising additional sper hero qualities which appear in Violet (Sarah Vowell) would go pardoned in a manner of speaking.

The Incredibles ended with The Underminer (John Ratzenberger) making his appearance and I wonder why the follow up hasn’t made its appearance yet. It would be so much better than the “squeakuels” that we have been forced to sustain. 7.5 on 10 for The Incredibles from my side. Must watch if you haven’t yet. Playing on Star Movies these days.

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2963250457/

No comments:

Post a Comment