Thursday 26 January 2012

Underworld: Awakening

OK I am not much of an Underworld fan. It is an occupational hazard and a good time slot that drove me to PVR Phoenix. My complete lack of interest would have been evident to you if you were anywhere around the ticket counter that evening. I walk up in my usual care a damn manner to the counter and say, “1 ticket please for Resident Evil”. The expression that the guy on the counter had was priceless to say the least. He goes, “Resident Evil”? And I am not kidding guys. I actually said, “Yeah – Resident evil 3:10 pm show”. It was the timely intervention of the lady in the adjacent counter that saved me from any further embarrassment the guy at the counter from any further confusion. She goes, “Arre sir ka matlab hai – Underworld. Underworld” (Sir means Underworld. Underworld). And suddenly a thought crossed my mind – why in the blazes do I want to go for this movie in the first place when I all that’s going through my mind is Mila Jovovich and not Kate Beckinsale. And all of this after I had checked for timings on the net not more than an hour before I got to the theatre. Well it was a thought that crossed my mind a bit too late I guess. The smart fellow at the counter (who was super confused a minute ago) had already swiped the card with a grin on his face that said – what kind of a guy are you. You don’t even know which movie you want to go for?

Well that’s enough about the fun part about the movie. Lets now get to the part of reviewing the movie. For those who haven’t been initiated into the Underworld saga, there are 3 kinds of creatures (for lack of any other word). The Lycans are the bad guys. The Werewolves are the good guys. And the humans are the guys who don’t have a clue whatsoever. Underworld fans – please feel free to correct / reprimand me for any mistakes whatsoever – you can call me an insufferable lycan too. Advance apologies.

But to complicate things the last time, they introduced the concept of hybrids – werewolves that look like humans. The lycans have been all but destroyed and the world has lost its chief hybrid played by Kate Beckinsale who by the way comes nowhere close to Mila Jovovich (no points for guessing by now that I am a Resident Evil fan). In part 4 – which is titled – AWAKENING – referring to the resurrection of Subject 1 (Beckinsale) and Subject 2 (India Eisley) – we see the resurrection of the Lycans as well who are back for blood. And this time they are bigger, badder and more powerful because they have immunity to silver – but funnily not to silver nitrate (something I didn’t quite understand and am open to be enlightened on). And there are bullets and bombs and loud random gunfire with the human friend and an extremely good looking werewolf friend and the angle of a child who is more powerful thereby leaving enough for Underworld 5. Yawn. 5 on 10 for the good action sequences. Watch on big screen if you have to. No point on TV or DVD.

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1011654169/

No comments:

Post a Comment