Tuesday 13 November 2012

Son of Sardaar

And after a painful start at the movies to Diwali, I moved from Screen 4 to Screen 2 @ PVR Mulund for the 1305 show of Son of Sardar. By this time, I was quite certain that it would be a “Dud Diwali” @ the Box Office in terms of quality of movies. But in terms of collections, the cash counters would ring in like most Diwalis to date. I must say that I was hoping against hope when I walked into screen 2. My hopes were going to be ill placed once again.

You are all aware of my aversion to slapstick comedy. And Ajay Devgn seems to be taking to that genre quite seriously. Salman Khan and Sanjay Dutt had already made themselves comfortable here and to see 3 of these on the same screen was probably my worst nightmare coming true. The only other person missing who would have completed the horror would have been AK. Thank God for small mercies. Thank God once again that Salman makes his presence felt only for about 30 seconds in all.

The Randhawa and The Sandhu families are at each other’s throats for a while and just the smallest of sparks sets off a blood bath of epic proportions. Enough for the surviving mother to send her child off to Rani Ka Des (The Queen’s Country). Many moons later, Jaswinder aka Jassi (Devgn) gets a notice from the government (wonder how they got his address) that he has received land worth Rs.50 lacs as part of a will (wonder whose?). So he has to get back home and claim it.

Of course, before he leaves, he is briefed about the long standing family fued. A fued that has left Shri Billu Sandhu (Sanjay Dutt) unmarried to Parminder (Juhi Chawla) for the past 25 years – some vow about not getting married till the last of the Randhawas are turned to ash (what is with this Diwali and promises to God and sundry???).

Along with Billu are his cousins who have promised not to have ice cream and Coca-Cola respectively – erm? But somehow Jassi finds his way into their house and conveniently refuses to leave. And the Sandhus don’t kill anyone within the four walls of their house. A matter of principle. So we need to wait for over 2 hours to figure out what will happen at the end of all this crap.

In between you have to sustain a barrage of slapstick dialogues. Lets give you a flavor of some of them.
1. Mein waapas nahin jaoonga. Wahan pe log mujhe “Hindustan Lever” bulayenge. (I will not go back. They will call me “Hindustan Lever” when I return)
2. Power waale chashmey aur Billu ki kasmey, ek baar chadh jaati hai to utarti nahin. (Powered glasses and Billu’s promises cannot be changed – apologies for the crude translation)
3. Yeh Real hai? Nahin ji yeh NaReal (Nariyal - coconut) hai (No translations for this one. I just cannot come close to what it means).
If you enjoyed this sneak peak, then there are 30 or more such absurb one liners waiting for you. You will love whats in store. I have not shared some of the more atrocious ones in this forum. Lest, I lose a few followers.

If you ask me whether SOS is better or JTHJ, I would go with the latter because it is the better of both evils – but that’s because I don’t like slapstick. If you want some mindless fun to ensure that your Diwali is not ruined by a fake Yash Chopra movie then SOS it should be. Either ways both rank a lowly 3 on 10 on my rating scale. A “Dud Diwali” indeed. After RA One last year – expected much better.

Watch the trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlcpr7qEv4

No comments:

Post a Comment