Friday 20 July 2012

The Dark Knight Rises

With every Christopher Nolan movie, I dread walking into the movie hall. Because every time, I see a new one from his table, my older ranking starts seeming like a joke. In 7 years, this is Nolan’s 5th movie. And every time, I am tempted to give a 9 on 10. I land up giving it only to bite my tongue a year or two later. So I am really not sure whether I should rate The Dark Knight Rises at all.

No one but Nolan has really shown the story of Bruce Wayne, the way Bob Kane would have wanted it to be narrated. And that can happen if an only if you love something so much that you give it everything one has – not to mention the truck loads of talent that is required to bring a passion to life. TDKR is no different. There could not have been a more fitting finale to give Batman the status of “the most popular superhero to hit the silver screen”…. Or can there be?

Disclaimer – I am a huge fan of Nolan and more importantly the Dark Knight as narrated by Nolan. So this review is definitely going to be biased. So if you want to read a genuine critic talking about how the movie could have been better etc., then I suggest you look elsewhere coz here you are going to find only good things being written about Nolan. In fact Nolan has to actually commit hara-kiri and we may still pardon him.

In true Nolan fashion, this part also is brilliantly scripted and shot with great emphasis on each frame and character. No hero can or will ever be great without an equally brilliant villain. I will not even think to venture into The Joker’s territory as one of the best villains ever but you need to watch out for Tom Hardy as Bane in TDKR to believe what I am saying. And it is not just the eerie nature of the mask or the gruff muffled voice through the mask which makes you cringe in your pants. One cannot help but admire casting director John Papsidera. How can anyone pick such perfect actors for each role?

I cannot say that TDKR is flawless. The exceptionally trained eye will pick up some glitches – but they are too insignificant in the context of the movie. But I also haven’t yet seen a standing ovation to a Hollywood movie. I haven’t seen so many people staying glued to their seats till the last line of the credits moved out of the screen. And I haven’t seen a housefull 7 am show anywhere in the country.

Enough said. Time for you to go out there and try your luck. Watch it on the IMAX Screen some time at least – even if it is the 2nd time – don’t worry… you will be back for seconds. 9 on 10 once again!!!! Chris Nolan – you rock our world!!! I know… I haven’t given any sneak peek into the story this time. But believe me that’s intentional. I would not want to ruin the best movie of the year so far with even the smallest of spoilers. The shows @ IMAX are full upto Monday I am told. So if u get lucky…. U get lucky… enjoy.

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2376312089/

1 comment: