Saturday 24 December 2011

One Day

All over the web, critics have blasted Anne Hathaway for her use of a Yorkshire accent in One Day. Now I am no expert on accents and it was sufficiently British for me to stand up and take notice that Hathaway had yet again checked a box in my books. Always loved her from her “Princess Diaries” days but I thought she came of age only with “Devil Wears Prada” and a stunning one in “Rachel Getting Married”. I thought she came up with another great performance but then I am biased towards her so I leave the judgement to you because you would not want to give One Day a miss.
Jim Sturgess’ performance as the promiscuous Dexter who is best friends with Emma (Hathaway) is very good to say the least. I would have to agree with some of the critics who say that he was better than Hathaway but then, the role demanded that he be better. He did have more of the screen time. Almost all of the movie had Sturgess but very few that had only Hathaway – in comparison that is. I guess he didn’t have much of a choice but to come up with the goods.

David Nicholls best selling 2009 novel (must buy sooner than later) it would seem has not really come out as well as the book was written. It is an extremely interesting concept and a story line about mapping the relationship between 2 friends or lovers if you would like to call them that – or maybe soul mates – over 23 years. And all of this on just One Day – 15th July. Starting from 1988 which is the day that they both graduate and have their first fling, all the way to 2011. Each year shows how the lives of both the protagonists have progressed and where they stand vis-à-vis each other. I guess it was only a matter of time before they made the book into a movie. Very interesting concept.

You will find the way the dates are titled extremely good. 15th July keeps appearing scene after scene in some of the most creative ways. Lone Scherfig gave us the much acclaimed An Education, a bit over 2 years back and it came in with loads of accolades and 3 Oscar nominations. I haven’t seen the movie yet and am eagerly looking forward to it especially after watching One Day because here is a director who seems to give her characters a real “flesh out”. There are so many finer nuances about Emma and Dexter that she gets out over nearly 2 hours that it gives us a clear understanding of each person. I hope I am fair in assuming that she has done the same in her previous movies. The editing is quite solid and the use of music as well with some new tracks from Elvis Costello. The lead track is just “haunting”. Suckers for Romance like me will also shed a tear or 2 towards the end. It builds up beautifully to a superb Christmas weekend for 2 people in love. 7 on 10 from my side. But not necessary to watch on the big screen.

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3449396249

No comments:

Post a Comment