Thursday 13 June 2013

The Hangover 3



At the outset, I would like to apologise for this delayed review of a movie that released 2 weeks back.  A friend asked me if it was similar to Hangover 2 and whether he should watch it.  I hadn’t seen HO2 and so decided that I would take this opportunity to watch HO1, 2 and 3 and then review all 3 together.

About a week into HO3, another friend reminded me that I hadn’t posted my review yet.  My response to her was that I was still recovering from the trauma of watching a movie that was as bad as its earliest part was good.  In Todd Phillips’ world, finding a new level probably applies to new lows and not highs.
 
HO3 lost me, a few seconds into the start.  First of all, it begins with my favourite (notice the sarcasm) Alan (Zach Galifianakis) driving down a freeway.  A couple of seconds later you notice a giraffe in the trailer.  A few seconds later, the giraffe is decapitated and a major pile up follows on the freeway.
 
By this time, you are quite sure that you are in for what I term as “Attempted Comedy” because that was the intent when Todd Phillips started both the series and this movie.  But please tell me, what is humourous about a giraffe losing its head because of a man who needs to be institutionalized?
 
Nevertheless, this time around there is no wedding and no Hangover (during the movie).  So another question comes up – why name it HO3? It could well have had another name instead of drilling the last nail into the coffin and leaving no room for any comeback whatsoever.
 
The story involves Marshall (John Goodman) who is after Leslie Chow (Ken Jeong) because he has stolen a few million worth of gold bricks.  So what does he do? He resorts to kidnapping.  Who does he kidnap? No points for guessing that.  Doug (Justin Bartha).  Again!!!  Why? Because a nitwit by the name of Alan is still in touch with Chow.
 
What happens after that? A search for first Chow and then the gold bricks and a whole lot of corny slapstick humour thrown in that will make you cringe more than it will make you laugh.  There is no question of a Hangover or a wedding this time but there is a Las Vegas finale which is essential in a HO movie I guess.
 
But the world never ceases to surprise me.  In its 3rd week tomorrow and this mockery of a movie still continues to run in theatres.  If I were you, I would watch Now You See Me instead.  Because HO3 doesn’t give you any reason to walk in for a view.  3 on 10 is what I can give it.  And I am being generous.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment