Saturday 20 August 2011

Bad Teacher

What are the words or thoughts that come to your mind when I would utter the two words Cameron & Diaz? Lets see. Blonde. Hot. Bimbo. Tall. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Drop Dead Gorgeous. Luscious Lips. Charlies Angels. Anything else? Come on, I am sure you can come up with some more adjectives to describe Cameron Diaz. But I am quite certain that the noun “Actress” would be used by very few to describe her. Am I right or am I wrong? I have always found Diaz to be an exceptionally attractive woman but never one who can claim to be an actress. Rest assured she has more expressions in her repertoire than most “actresses” in this part of the world I assure you. But she still doesn’t make the cut to compete with the more intense genuine actresses in her part of the world. Which gets her relegated to the slapstick comedies like Bad Teacher or at times the more sensible RomComs like Holiday (which I believe is one of the best RomComs ever made and in my all time favourite list of movies as well – have I lost a few followers? :P).
The one thing Diaz doesn’t have that quite a few other actresses or “actresses” can boast of is a nice rack (I hope children don’t read my blog and that would also be the case of taking them to watch Bad Teacher. Don’t take children with you). Which seamlessly merges into the story of the life of Elizabeth Halsey (Diaz) whose only purpose in life is to enhance her assets. Her obsession with money and the boob job get her engagement to a millionaire fiancé to breaking point. The mother-in-law to be, ensures that it breaks off with little ado. Halsey who has just quit her job as a teacher – a job that she absolutely dislikes – finds herself back within the blink of an eyelid to sharing an apartment with a Hobo and with little or no money in the bank. Therefore, the only option left was to go back to the school and ask for her job back – which she duly gets.

What follows is the classic American Slapstick variety of Comedy which I believe goes very well with the crowds these days. People find anything and everything humourous. I am convinced that it is just me who doesn’t appreciate this genre where Justin Timberlake behaves as if he is a class A loser – and Timberlake showed with his performance as Sean Parker in Social Network that he is not a bad actor at all. Cannot pay the same compliment to Lucy Punch however. Don’t recollect her from any of her past movies although I have seen some of them – Bad Teacher will leave you with the same feeling. Nothing but irritation for her character – Amy Squirrel. The only guy who seems to be comfortable on screen is Jason Segel who does a decent job as the “never say die” gym teacher whose only intent is to get into Halsey’s pants (now that I would definitely not mind). Bad Teacher lived upto my expectations of being a 5 on 10. Easy watch for those who enjoyed the likes of American Pie. For the others, avoid.

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3131219225/

No comments:

Post a Comment