Sunday 21 August 2011

Blood Diamond

Now here is a movie worth watching over and over and over and over again. And then when you have seen it enough times over you can watch it once more for good measure. I think Leonardo DiCaprio came of age somewhere in 2002 when he did Catch Me If You Can. I could give him credit for The Beach as well but I guess he was just starting to warm up. But my word did he take off after his portrayal of Frank Abagnale Jr.!!! As the corny one liner goes – there was no turning back. Danny Archer was his 3rd role after Frank Abagnale Jr. and man did he get it to rock. Truck loads of effort gone into getting the accent right. Another few truck loads of effort gone into getting the overall feel of a diamond smuggler. Quite a bit of hard work Leo boy and a pity you could not grab hold of Uncle Oscar despite all of the effort. Hope in hell that you would have known about Mr. Whitaker and his portrayal of the Butcher of Uganda. Tough Luck Leo. I am quite certain you will get this sooner than later.
Now let me see. Why do you think Blood Diamond was never even nominated for an Oscar. I have tried to rack my brains for a long time over this. But then the Academy may have its fetishes for finer nuances which us lowly mortals are not familiar with. Did Blood Diamond have a storyline – hell it did. A cause that no one had picked up to date which also made it fresh i.e. never before told story of conflict diamonds which had started getting into the news a while before Edward Zwick picked it up. And it is an original. So was it the performances? Maybe. But then both Leo and Djimon earned nominations. So I guess it cannot be acting. Yeah I guess no one else had much of a role to play in the entire movie which I agree to but one cannot fault either Jennifer Connelly or Arnold Vosloo with bad acting. It was a well knit movie in terms of performances.

So it has to be editing right? But there again there was a nomination for the golden statuette. Well I kind of gave up after going through the list. Maybe the direction was not upto mark or maybe the screenplay. What it was, none of us will ever know. If there the nominations are based on a voting system then I would guess Blood Diamond would have lost out extremely marginally for some more awards. Or put this entire concept of a doubt to my account because I am an amateur critic – probably need that FTI class really really soon (makes mental note).

If you haven’t seen Blood Diamond yet then I suggest you catch up with it whenever it plays on any of these movie channels or better still – buy your own copy ASAP. It will truly be worth it. I give it an 8 on 10 easy. Yenjoy the show I say!!!!

Watch the trailer at http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi180027673/

No comments:

Post a Comment