Friday 21 August 2015

All is Well (2015) (Hindi)

I have started writing this review a little after the interval of All Is Well. It will definitely be one of the corniest lines I have ever written in over 5 years of reviewing but I am at a loss of words as of now. All is definitely not well. There. I have said it.


Half way down the second half I am on the verge of pulling my hair out one by one. It may actually be a more satisfying experience than what I am going through right now. The dialogue or the absence of them is not helping. Right now I feel more for the actors who I believe are going through the motions with little or no interest in the end product.

Inder Bhalla (Abhishek Bachchan) begins the excruciatingly painful narrative with some line about 2 kinds of people - those who follow their dreams because it is their dream and those who follow them because they are running away from reality.  Plato and the great Socrates would be hanging their heads in shame now. How did they miss such deep philosophy.

That sets the tone for the next 2 hours that goes from bad to worse to rank horrible.  Our hero doesn't believe in the institute of marriage and does everything in his limitations to shun Nimmi (Asin). Nimmi on the other hand doesn't let an opportunity of proposing marriage go by. She gives up eventually and heads out to India to get married.  Coincidentally our hero is on the same flight. He has to settle some property dispute.

It is disappointing that a director like Umesh Shukla who gave us a solid movie like Oh My God, has delivered one of the most disorganized movies in the history of Indian cinema.  There is little or no continuity.  The story has no substance whatsoever.  The humour or the meek attempt at it falls flat all through.

The performances, as mentioned earlier,  are half hearted at best.  Asin is awful from start to finish.  The usually dependable Rishi Kapoor, Supriya Pathak and even Abhishek Bachchan (who I have always believed in) are lacklustre. The music is average and will not be remembered for too long despite the homage to Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak.

All is Well is a very meek attempt to showcase a story of a relationship between a stubborn father and an equally stubborn son. It never takes off and the fact that I have finished my review before the end of the movie should indicate that it doesn't hold an audience.  A few left midway.  You could avoid that and save money on the tickets. 2 on 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment