Sunday 23 March 2014

Muppets Most Wanted

How many of you have seen The Muppets (2011) starring Amy Adams (my favouritest – if there is something like that) and Jason Segel? Well it really doesn’t matter if you saw it or not.  I for one, come from the latter group.  I was in 2 minds before I walked in for the preview with half a mind saying why bother with this one?


But I was not disappointed at all at the end of it all.  In fact, I was quite pleased with myself for having invested my time and effort into watching this kiddie movie.  And I had not experienced The Muppets ever before.  I had heard of Kermit the Frog and had seen rushes but never seen an episode or a movie before. And I still enjoyed it.

Probably a reflection of why these otherwise quite irritable characters are so loved all across the world.  Enough to tempt the likes of Christoph Waltz, Stanley Tucci, Saoirse Ronan, Frank Langella, James McAvoy, Chloë Grace Moretz, Hugh Bonneville, Lady Gaga, Usher and Salma Hayek to play self-deprecating roles that cannot be attributed to just the money.

The one person who could have done it for the money would be Zach Galifianakis – or it may be unemployment. Add to these guest roles the mainstream roles of Nadya (Tina Fey) who is a jailor of Gulag 38B in Siberia Russia and obsessed with Kermit.  There is Big Papa (Ray Liotta) who is 2nd in charge amongst the criminals jailed here.  Danny Trejo – who for lack of any other name is called that – Danny Trejo.

All of these people along with all The Muppets are part of the plot that involves Dominic Badguy (Ricky Gervais) – pronounced Bad”gee” because of the French lineage.  Dominic is #2.  Constantine (Matt Vogel) – the most dangerous frog in the world – is #1.  Together they plan to steal the most prized artefacts in the world ending with The Crown Jewels – with a little help from the deceased Col. Thomas Blood.

Key to this plan is replacing Kermit The Frog with Constantine – they are spitting images of each other with the exception of a mole.  Constantine not only replaces Kermit but finds favour with The Muppets because he allows them to do whatever they want including the Indoor Running of the Bulls.

The corny references in The Muppets are just incredible.  An Eagle who is the CIA Agent.  Celine Dion as the Piggy Godmother.  Gonzo with The Wind.  Die Muppets in Germany.  Rita Hayworth poster in the jail and million other references to Shawshank Redemption and other jailbreak stories.  Every alternate statement has some kind of spoofy or corny reference somewhere.

But yet, in its childishness, you find a lot of enjoyment.  Adults should leave their brains behind and enjoy the show.  Children should carry their brains because in their world anything is possible and that’s what makes this so magical.  I will be trying to get my hands on the first part.  I suggest you take your kids along for this one.  I have never enjoyed a 6 on 10 movie more.  JJJJJ

No comments:

Post a Comment