Monday 26 August 2013

Once Upon Ay Time In Mumbai Dobaara!

When I first saw the trailer of “Once Upon Ay Time in Mumbai Dobaraa!”, the A was just A and not Ay.  There was no “!”.  It was “again” and not “Dobaraa”.  Surely there were some consultations held behind closed doors to make so many changes to the name.  A pity it didn’t work out too well.  They could have well saved the numerology fees.
When I first saw the trailer of OUATIMD (damn the abbreviation is long enough to be the name of a movie by itself), I could not stop laughing because the movie was destined to be a disaster.  The makers got the casting itself wrong.  Akhay Kumar and Imran Khan playing dons in Mumbai? How much more ridiculous could it get.

When I first saw the trailer of OUATIMD, I was quite certain that it would not be too different in terms of narration from OUATIM.  There would be the entry of the Don, early in the movie followed by a quick item number.  There would be a love story or two thrown in for spice.  There would be a love song or 2 thrown in for salt.

When I first saw the trailer of OUATIMD, I was quite certain that there would be nothing to look forward to in the acting department.  Akshay Kumar removes his dark glasses a couple of times to provide some relief from the otherwise claustrophobic look (I am quite certain his eyes would have felt that). Refer future paragraph for reasons.

When I first saw the trailer of OUATIMD, I knew that Imran Khan’s repertoire of expressions would not grow from his current count of 1.75.  I also knew that Sonakshi’s role would be limited to an over the top performance with little or no value attached to it.  There would be no existence of a support cast and all the limelight would be focused on the 3 stars mentioned.

When I first saw the trailer of OUATIMD, I knew that there would be some cheesy dialogues that hoped to create impact but not dialogues which would make you cry.  Here are a few samples.  Not meant for the weak-hearted I warn you. Apologies for no translations.  No words can come close to these dialogues in Hindi
  1. Naam bataaunga to pehchaan bura maan jayegi
  2. Mujhe kisi ne kaha ki mera future bright hoga.  Toh Kaala chasma pehenta hoon.
  3. Peene ki capacity, Jeene ki strength, Account ka balance or Naam ka khauff – kabhi kam nahin honi chahiye
  4. Aam Aadmi Aam ki tarah hota hai.  Koi choos leta hai.  Koi Kaat deta hai.  Aur koi khaa jaata hai
  5. Meter kitna bhi tezz bhaage, Taxi kea age chal nahin sakta
When I first saw the trailer of OUATIMD, I knew that Milan Luthria would stick to his typical narration and execution.  One that is his signature and also good.  He also had a decent story to back up.  But he was set for failure with all the points mentioned.  Why then did he choose to still go ahead with this is a mystery.

When I first saw the trailer of OUATIMD, if I had known all of the above, then the question is why did I still go and check it out 2 weeks after release.  I have 2 words.  Occupational Hazard.  Maybe even hope that all my expectations would be confounded.  Alas.  It was not to be.  4 on 10 (still better than Chennai Express for sure).

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking and waiting for the review of OUATIMD
    Now I got what took you so long
    Watched chennai express despite you giving 3/10
    Not gonna commit the same mistake again :P
    And BTW do you review some films on reader's request ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Akira - it wud b my pleasure to review on readers request

    ReplyDelete